I’m definitely no food blogger, but I’m a BBQ lover, and this is definitely the best baked beans recipe out there. This is from a recipe that I had gotten from one of my sisters that she got from her brother-in-law, but I changed it a bit to make it more of something I would love. You can basically add whatever you want to this recipe, but here’s the jist of it.
Cook ground beef.
Cook some bacon and chop it up. In a 3 quart casserole dish (I love these pyrex glass dishes with a lid linked here.), Add everything together – all the beans, bbq sauce, ketchup, mustard, etc (see recipe). Throw in the oven covered with foil for 30 minutes, and uncovered for 30 minutes. DONE! So easy.
Here’s a few variations that I’ve already come up with myself:
- We (read: me) are not big onion eaters. I only like them if they are cooked, NOT crunchy and raw. Because of this, most of the time if a recipe calls for raw onions, i’ll use dried/dehydrated onions. It still gives you the onion taste, but without crying from chopping them, and crunchiness. Winning.
- The original recipe I had said to use Butter beans. If you don’t know what that is, the closest thing that I think it resembles is a giant nasty lima bean. Nothing again lima beans, but they’re gross. I didn’t want to eat them, so I used greater northern beans, and am a BIG fan with them instead. You could literally use whatever beans you prefer in this. When I took the pictures for this recipe, I was down to one can of kidney beans, so I used pinto beans as the second can. BUT, make sure you have at least one can of pork n’ beans. Just do it.
- You can use whatever your favorite kind of BBQ sauce is, but we really like Sweet Baby Rays. Just sayin’.
- You could also add 1/2 tsp of chili powder. I’m a weenie so I leave it out.
- I add closer to 3/4 C of brown sugar, but if you don’t like it that sweet, you can add less.
- BE SURE to cover with foil the first 30 minutes. It helps hold in the moisture so you don’t have dry baked beans.
- If you’re more of a sausage person, you could add that instead of ground beef. Whatever you do, just drain it before you add it all together!
Let me know if you try it, and what variations you come up with!! Regardless, i’m sure it will be delicious!!
The Best Baked Beans Recipe
- 1/2 Lbs Ground Beef
- 10 Slices Cooked Bacon Chopped
- 1/2-3/4 C Brown Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp Dried Onion
- 1/4 C Ketchup
- 1/4 C Barbecue Sauce (Be use Sweet Baby Rays)
- 2 Tbsp Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Molasses
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Onion Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 2 cans Kidney Beans
- 1 can Great Northern Beans (can also use Butter beans instead)
- 1 can Pork N' Beans
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. Cook ground beef and drain.
- 3. In a large bowl, add ground beef and all remaining ingredients.
- 4. Pour into a 3 qt casserole dish.
- 5. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- 6. Remove from oven, uncover, and cook for another 30 minutes.
- 7. Serve hot!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.